Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Business Lunch

On my first day as a summer associate at my law firm in 1999, my mentor took me out to lunch and we each had a beer. Apart from some celebratory lunches following cases that had been won in the morning (and no work was expected in the afternoon), that was the last time I had alcohol at lunch on a work day until I arrived in France.


On my first day at the office here, I immediately noticed that the client's cafeteria serves beer and wine at lunch. I rarely see anyone drinking there at lunch, but if you are out at a restaurant on a business lunch, it is de rigueur. This is what usually happens when my client and I are out to lunch before an afternoon meeting outside the office:


Him (to the waiter): "2 glasses of champagne, please."


Me (internal monologue): Champagne? Why are we celebrating? We haven't had the meeting yet.


Him (to me): "Do you want wine?"


Me: "This is going to be an important meeting, but, OK, I can have a glass."


Him (to the waiter): "We will have a bottle of ..."


It doesn't matter where we are -- recently we were at a pub in London and to celebrate a positive development, he ordered champagne.

Once, I committed a faux pas by turning down the champagne before lunch, already knowing that we would be splitting a bottle of wine during the meal and thinking of all that had to be accomplished that afternoon.


I have to admit, though, that nothing terrible has yet happened after one of these lunches, but I do not think this is a custom I will bring home with me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i demand to know the identity of this wild and crazy boozer attorney who bought you a beer nine years ago! and will he buy me one?

Anonymous said...

Piffle! America was built on 3 martini lunches - certainly you can do your part by downing a few glasses of bubbly.

PBS said...

Alas, he left 8 years ago (showing my age here).

I can think of 2 people I know who might use the word Piffle -- and to either or both of you, I say Huzzah.

Unknown said...

i have yet ANOTHER comment-- I am trying to become a Pete substitute during this year's interview lunch season because I know that recruiting doesn't know what to do without you-- but I have a wedding coming up so I need volunteers for leftovers.