Thursday, December 12, 2013

Merry Christmas from Red China

When I arrived in Tokyo a few weeks ago, I was staying near one of the city's flagship department stores.  As I walked past the window displays of disconcertingly Caucasian-appearing mannequins, the familiar sound of Christmas music filled the air and then I saw the store's giant Christmas tree.  There were more Christmas displays in Seoul and Hong Kong, but I was surprised to see Shanghai in the Christmas spirit as well.  After all, this is not a religious country, let alone a Christian one, though of course in a nation of 1 billion plus, there are Christians here.  In all the shopping areas, though, one could find Christmas trees, Christmas music, and exhortations to buy a gift for someone you love.

Obviously, the world is heavily influenced by Western culture.  As I was going through customs here in Shanghai, a Muzak version of The Bangles' "Eternal Flame" played over the loudspeaker.  At my hotel, the lounge act warbled "Yesterday" as I walked in.  But Christmas?  Here?  It's not all like America -- there were no Nativity scenes in sight.  But, like America, it was plainly a consumer's (and shopkeeper's) holiday.  I asked an acquaintance when Chinese started celebrating Christmas.  He told me it goes back about 15 years -- but it is getting bigger every year.  "Christmas without Jesus" he called it.

Along E. Nanjing Rd. in Shanghai.

No comments: