Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Tailors of Hong Kong

I doubt there is a more spectacularly situated city than Hong Kong.  Maybe Rio, but I haven't been there.  I began my visit by having dinner with an old friend and former colleague.  On my way to dinner, I walked about 20 minutes from my hotel in Kowloon (the peninsula) to take the 5-minute Star Ferry to Hong Kong Island.  I soon found that I was apparently as approachable in Hong Kong as I had been in Seoul, although this time I was popular with a different demographic: middle-aged tailors.  6 tried to stop me during my 20 minute walk and let's just say they are a persistent bunch.  I was wearing a suit jacket, but more likely it was my Western appearance that drew them to me.

Anyway, the best 35 cents (US) you'll ever spend is to take the Star Ferry ride from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island.  Sit on the left-hand side of the boat and marvel at the dramatic skyline.

The view from Star Ferry looking south -- a little smoggy.


If Kowloon is a bit ramshackle (in a good way) with night markets and more of a southeast Asian feel, Hong Kong Island is all business (well, not all business).  After a great tour from my friend of some historical aspects of the city that they don't really include in the guidebooks, I came back the following day to the island for some more sightseeing.  There is extremely high population density in the city itself, with 60-story apartment buildings as far as the eye can see.  On the southern end of the island, there is a little more space to stretch out and Repulse Bay was beautiful.  I did take part in about the most touristy thing you can do in Hong Kong -- take the Victoria Peak tram up to the highest point in the territory.  Be sure to sit on the right.  And if you're ever in Hong Kong and need a tailor, I have a few cards for you (though I'm sure they'll find you).

No comments: